Thursday, September 13, 2007

Adventures in Collections Management!

You remember how Indiana Jones worked for a museum?* Well, I work for one too! Except that I don't travel the world and fight Nazis. But I do think my job is pretty exciting.

I am the Collections Manager for the Anthropology collections at Central Washington University. Although we don't currently have formal exhibition spaces, we will be moving into a brand new collections space and exhibition space inside of the next two years. That means there's a lot of work to do before we're ready to move!

What does a collections manager do? Many things. A collections manager is responsible for maintaining physical and intellectual control of museum collections. What does that mean? It means I need to know where our stuff is, if it's our stuff, and I need to ensure that the collection is cared for in a way which will keep it around as long as possible. That's the short version. I think you'll get an idea of the longer version over time.

So, wanna see it? Just a peek, a quick peek for today.



*Okay, fine. He was a professor of archaeology, but he was very concerned with the museum, adventuring and fighting Nazis for it. At the very least he mentions a museum at one point.

1 comment:

cavalaxis said...

~gasp~ TEXTILES!

Oh I can't wait to read more!